Sunday, January 6, 2013

Testimony of Eugene Volokh on the Second Amendment, Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, Sept. 23, 1998.

Testimony of Eugene Volokh on the Second Amendment, Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, Sept. 23, 1998.: "Eight years ago, I got into an argument with a nonlawyer acquaintance about the Second Amendment.  The Amendment, this person fervently announced, clearly protects an individual right.  Not so, I argued to him, thinking him to be something of a blowhard and even a bit of a kook."

Three years ago, I discovered, to my surprise and mild chagrin, that this supposed kook was entirely right.  In preparing to teach a law school seminar on firearms regulation (one of the only about half a dozen such classes that I know of at U.S. law schools), I found that the historical evidence -- much of which I set forth verbatim in the Appendix -- overwhelmingly points to one and only one conclusion:  The Second Amendment does indeed secure an individual right to keep and bear arms.

'via Blog this'


No comments: