Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Constitution, Aesthetics, Groping, Paradox of Capitalism

1.

I've linked to this video before, but it's worth reposting.



I think this video illustrates a paradox--what' I'll call the paradox of capitalism. On the one hand, capitalism is the best system for innovation and progress. On the other hand, if we all had a big-picture appreciation for everything that capitalism does for us, then we might lose our drive to innovate. Our impatience with the capitalism's innovation from yesterday is the engine that makes capitalism go.

There's a tendency to think that, because we don't appreciate our progress, it doesn't really occur, or it's not that important. I guess you could argue that if our progress doesn't really bring us satisfaction, what's the point? But of course our lives are longer, healthier, we have more time for art and hobbies and family.

Wealth isn't just about stuff. It's about quality of life.

And it doesn't take very long to get to the point where a one-time luxury becomes the standard. The end of this terrific podcast on globalization demonstrates how many "luxuries" from 100 years ago are standard necessities today.

Which also makes me think, what of the things that we consider unnecessary luxuries today are going to be common place in 20 or 30 years? And is it really a fault to be on the cutting edge of that progress? Looking back in time, should we denounce the first people to have running water in their houses as materialistic people craving an unnecessary luxury?

2.

As you know, originalism is my preferred modality of constitutional interpretation. It, however, is far from perfect. One difficulty with originalism is the legitimacy of the constitution itself. Usually you can argue for originalism without really tackling this problem, because almost all Americans argue from the premise that the constitution is legitimate.

There are some arguments against that view, however (note: I admit, I haven't read all the material at the link). I wanted to focus on two: 1. No one today agreed to the constitution, and, therefore, no one is bound by it, and 2. only a small subset of people (white male property owners) could actually exercise the franchise in 1787 so as to consent to the constitution then too. Thus, the constitution was not democratically enacted and does not bind future generation who have not assented to it.

I wonder, does the first argument mean that every time there is a birth (or a person reaches adulthood) the constitution must be re-ratified? Or we must periodically re-ratify the constitution to ensure that it still enjoys super-majority support? Does the amendment process not account at least in part for the differing desires of future generations?

Also, it seems to me this argument applies to all law. The homocide laws of today invariably were adopted before many if not most of today's voters were of the age to vote. Does that mean that all law makes all future generations slaves? (but then, we are reading from anarchist literature.)

And even if everyone was allowed to vote, does that mean that the constitution is more legitimate? If we are following a principle of non-coercion, even if 80 percent vote for the constitution, the government will still coerce the other 20%. The other 20% are still enslaved.

This Spooner guy from the link and the guy that blogs at Austro-Athenian Empire both seem to think that contracts are the only legitimate way to bind human behavior. Contracts require consent of all people. No contract is capable of coordinating any large number of people if that is the requirement. The transaction cost is through the roof.

Also, who is going to enforce contracts?

3.

The Oregon construction defect litigation bar is a pretty small group of the same players. One of the big players, Jack Levy, groped another female lawyer at party. The story has been big gossip in the construction legal community for some time. Now there's a story about it at the Oregonian's website. (Oregon's biggest paper.) 50 comments so far.

The victim of the story is described as "a litigation associate with another firm, who represents homeowners associations." I can only think of 4 attorney's that meet that description. But I know who filed the complaint. Probably if you know the construction defect bar well enough to know that, you also already know who the victim is.

Funniest line, though it probably shouldn't be: "She said she was moving down the hall during the party when Levy firmly grabbed her rear."

I also like this line: "The bar initially declined the complaint but revived it after the complainant alerted police." Snap! But I wonder if the Bar didn't get it right the first time.
(a) It is professional misconduct for a lawyer to:
(1) violate the Rules of Professional Conduct, knowingly assist or induce another to do so, or do so through the acts of another;
(2) commit a criminal act that reflects adversely on the lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects;
(3) engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation that reflects adversely on the lawyer’s fitness to practice law;
(4) engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of justice;
(5) state or imply an ability to influence improperly a government agency or official or to achieve results by means that violate these Rules or
other law; or
(6) knowingly assist a judge or judicial officer in conduct that is a violation of applicable rules of judicial conduct or other law.
There's no professional rule against groping opposing counsel. Groping is criminal, but it doesn't really reflect on honesty, trustworthiness (eh, maybe), or fitness as a lawyer, except maybe the part where Levy goes to give the lawyer a hug and groped her again. There's no fraud or dishonestly, except maybe in that hug/second groping. Four might apply, as the victim is arguing that this was a ploy to get leverage in the case. However, I understand that Levy was pretty drunk and groped a lot of women at that party, so I doubt it. 5 and 6 don't apply. Looks to me like the bar got it right the first time.

4.

Do you think aesthetic tastes are learned or innate? I've been thinking a lot about the cars I like. I find that I like the styling of luxury cars more than low end cars (although I don't like most Acura's, for some reason).

First I think, maybe it's just because those automakers spend money on the little things that make the car look nice. Then I think, maybe I just like those cars because I've been told by commercials that those are cars of status, and in reality, I don't actually like a BMW 46e body style any more than that of a boxy scion.

Then I think, no, I do like it more because of it is sleek and attractive. Then I think, maybe our preference for certain cars designs relates to our hardwired concept of beauty. Like it reminds us of the female figure or something like that. Then I think, that must be nonsense because there are truck designs I prefer to other trucks, which if anything are masculine, not feminine. Or house designs I like more than other houses, which are asexual.

Then I look at 90s cars and I remember when they were new, and I remember thinking they were kind of cool looking back in the day, but now I think they look more or less horrible. And I have this thought--maybe style is just a fad, and there is no objective way to evaluate it. Or maybe I just have more refined tastes now than then. Or maybe aesthetics are constantly marching forward much like technology, and looking back only shows us how far we've come.

5.

I think the Rand Paul controversy shows two things: 1. The media does not understand even the basics of libertarian thought and 2. it disproves Glenn Reynold's theory that Ron Paul's success came from libertarianism resonating with viewers.

6.

What do you think about cliques within a ward? We should be inclusive and extend the hand of fellowship to everyone, right? But then, we also genuinely like some people more than others. We don't have to pretend like we like all people equally, do we? It sure is a bummer if you're the one that no one likes.

5 comments:

Brett said...

1. Still like the video. I don't know that a lack of appreciation for our current predicament is necessarily the main impetus for innovation. It certainly can be a driving force, but I think that innovation can simply result from curiosity of the possible.

I was recently watching the HBO miniseries "John Adams" (based on the McCullough book) where a mocking party of the French ask Adams his opinion on opera. He demurely replies that he doesn't know much of opera, but then adds something to the effect of, "I have studied law and politics, so that my children may study architecture and navigation, so that their children may study art and music."

It would seem that an appreciation for the finer things in life is a result of an advanced culture (e.g. Greece, Rome, Europe, America), though this might be more due to advanced forms of government than technological innovation. Yet do advanced governments form without a measure of prosperity afforded by technology?

Whether people are happier in today's advanced society is an interesting question. We sure seem to have more mental disorders (or at least diagnoses) and the like. But I guess this question has been around for a while. From the Luddites to Rouseau people have questioned the wisdom of "progress."

Personally I think the anti-progress stance in ridiculous. I was once talking with a math teacher in Utah who didn't like technology that would replace human workers, but that line of thinking reverts us to hunter gatherers. I doubt that they overall work that humans need to accomplish has ever been reduced, technological advancement just forces us to temporarily adjust.

Innovation does tend to give us more freedom to choose what to do with our energies, which can lead to greater progress or greater idolatry.

4. I would guess that aesthetics are almost entirely learned. It can be influenced by other considerations (like functionality or practicality), but how else could you account for the differing tastes of cultures or within the same culture over time. Evolutionary processes couldn't be working on the time frame of fads.

6. Ward cliques can be tricky. I'll admit that on occasion as a newcomer to the ward I've felt left out a bit as others planned get togethers to which I was not invited.

On the other hand you can't invite everyone, and maybe there are some people that you don't enjoy being around. Maybe people just need to be more secretive about their activities so others don't find out about them and feel bad.

Ryan said...

That's a fair point about curiosity. I'm sure some progress is due purely to curiosity.

Still, I have to think that most of the things that are responsible for increased productivity are the result of someone seeing a need and meeting it. No one would have created an iPhone, or a machine that makes socks or fortune cookies out of curiosity. And these pieces of capital free our time from menial labor, and allow us to do other productive or meaningful things, increasing our quality of life.

Despite our advances, I just think that it's the normal human reaction to take for granted what we have and want more.

To your point about advanced governments potentially needing technology: It seems to me like it depends on what constitutes an advanced government and what "technology" means. the Roman and Greek empires didn't really require that much "technology" other than roads, aqueducts, language and writing. Third world countries today use cell phones. They don't create technology, but they use it.

So, I'm not sure I see a huge correlation other than one: countries have to have the rule of law such that risk takers know they will get the benefit if their risks work out.

Some people think capitalism has another paradox. When we're poor and we live hand to mouth, our survival instincts kick in. Capitalism frees us from that grind of poverty. But that grind gives us something to do, some direction. And without that direction we start getting all metaphysical and lose our grounding, and then suffer depression, etc. Not sure I entirely agree, but I tend to think that's right.

Still, on the whole, the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Brett said...

Sock and fortune cookie making machines I'll agree were likely made to fill a need, but I don't think the iPhone was (unless you're counting increasing Apple's revenue as a need). I was just reading an article where Jobs said that they were actually working on a tablet computer (ie iPad) first and then decided that the technology they were developing would work well on a phone. To me this is an example of curiosity, just seeing what might be possible. Plus were people all that unsatisfied with their smart phones before that? Does the dissatisfaction have to sit with the general public or with the innovators themselves? If it is the latter, I'm guessing the engineers at Apple all had some top of the line blackberry's and/or palm pilots. Looking at those devices compared to the iPhone one might think that someone felt a need to have something far superior, but at the time everyone I met that had one seemed to like those older smart phones.

I agree that humans tend to take things for granted, I'm just not sure that dissatisfaction is the primary engine of capitalism or innovation in general.

Ryan said...

I guess I should have said that most innovation is done to meet a demand,--perceived or real--whether that demand comes from a need or a want. (I don't think the distinction between needs and wants matters much to the market, although it seems to me that we "need" very little.

Suppose there was a law that prohibited selling smart phones, and Apple had no hope of changing it. Do you think Jobs would have still decided to see what was possible in terms of developing an iPhone?

Maybe a guy in his basement is innovating just to see what he can come up with. But I'm pretty sure large corporations don't spend money innovating unless they think it will lead to returns down the road.

Brett said...

I guess I see innovation as often creating demand rather than meeting it.

Surely the iPhone wasn't created for pure curiosity (scientists might be the only ones consistently working under that motivation), but was a result of an environment where curiosity is often rewarded monetarily. So maybe I should've said that many things are done to see what can possibly make money. We're splitting hairs here a bit, but I still don't see that as a manifestation of people's dissatisfaction. It seems they aren't dissatisfied with their old device until they see the new one. In that case the aim of innovation is to create dissatisfaction rather than to relieve it.