Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Another Comment

Here. Returning the favor.

When it comes to the size of government neither party has a good track record. On the other hand, I haven't quite bought into the argument that it doesn't matter much who is elected. Certainly it matters on the margins correct? It seems like improving things on the margins is the best small-government types can hope for, at least in the short run. I think Romney will be, although not ideal, a definite improvement. For example, I doubt under a President Romney we will get another 800 billion dollar stimulus bill.
Additionally, politicians deserve blame for many things, but is it really Republicans' fault that their policy failings are blamed on the free market? On average, I would say Republicans themselves don't usually blame the markets. It seems to me like we should should fault the opinion makers who blame the markets, not the Republicans who, while not always principled free-market supporters, are more free-market oriented than the alternative. This is an area where it seems to me like Libertarians allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

No comments: