Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Question for Our Irreligious Readers

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Question for Our Irreligious Readers: "I basically assume that I am an animal on the earth like any other and will be dead one day and that I want the rest of my days to be basically happy. I find that I can live with myself if I act by what you'd call my moral axiom - which I leave mostly unanalyzed but would characterize as something like "try to reduce the amount of suffering in the world" - better than if I didn't. I find it easy to imagine the suffering of other creatures and it makes me sad to do so; it makes me very sad when that suffering is caused by me. Also when people mistreat me I find it enjoyable to get into high dudgeon about it, and I find it harder to do so when I know that I act the same way that they do."

'via Blog this'


No comments: