Monday, April 15, 2013

Sic et Non —

Sic et Non —: "I definitely don’t understand the hostile secular critics who want to detach believers from their faith, and, if possible, to pull the Church from its foundations.  I think, in this context, of the words of the high priest Giddonah to the anti-Christ Korihor in Alma 30:22.  Giddonah seeks to know why Korihor wants to destroy the faith of the ancient Nephite saints, and “to interrupt their rejoicings.”

I’m curious about the same question.  Do the secularists have anything better to offer?

I think not.

I’m a believer.  I’m convinced that the claims of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, incredible as they certainly seem to many, are actually true.  But even if they turned out to be false, even if our lives are merely a flickering candle surrounded by an eternity of pointless darkness and soon to be extinguished by it, the Mormon way of life, in the company of the Saints, is a very good place to be."

'via Blog this'

1 comment:

Brett said...

I hear scientists claim that science has something better to offer (I don't agree, just to be clear). They say things like, "Science now offer explanations that were previously left to mythology and religion."

In the Science Friday segment I linked to in my most recent blog post, Lawrence Krauss (a cosmologist who is a bit of an evangelizing atheist) says how he feels similar feeling of euphoria while doing science that others describe in religious experiences. He even claims that science can provide morality, though he doesn't give any examples or conjectures as to how.

So I think that secularists are definitely hopeful that they can provide replacements for faith.

Personally I go off at times on people's stupidity to reject science when it comes to things like vaccinations, gmos, modern medicine in general, etc. And while I do see a big difference between advocating the acceptance of modern medicine and advocating the rejection of religion, I'm guessing that many secularists see them as part of the same fight. That traditional logic and scientific evidence are the only "ways of knowing."