Thursday, August 26, 2010

About that Mosque-like Islamic Center

Initially I was very not against this mosque center thing. It seemed like a simple property rights issue. The Muslims own the property? Then they should be able to build. But I kept having this nagging feeling like something is not quite right with it.

Upon reflection, I think I am against it. I still think it's clear that the owners have the property right to put the mosque there, and I don't think those who oppose the mosque should use the government to get what they want. But. . . I think that the people who are building the mosque are using ground zero to be intentionally provocative. Specifically they are intentionally building a mosque by ground zero to "promote inter-community peace, tolerance and understanding locally in New York City, nationally in America and globally.
" In other words, they picked a spot next to ground zero--where American's were slaughtered by Islamic extremists--to launch a program to teach tolerance to the most tolerant nation in the world. It's condescending. And it's bad form to use a tragedy to gin up attention for your project.

The fact that there are other non-controversial mosques located near by, I think, proves my point. My objection is not to Muslims or mosques in the vicinity--its to the intentions and condescensions of these mosque builders.

No comments: